Estrogen dominance by Kamila Wojtylko
ESTROGEN DOMINANCE /Weight gain/ infertility/ depression
One of the modern health problems we are facing is hormonal imbalance. Which leads to many serious health conditions in man and woman.
Disease linked to toxic environment are developing at alarming rates.
Breast cancer, infertility, endometriosis, tumours, low sperm count in males, have increased significantly over past decade.
That is due to drastic changes in our diet, specifically quality of meats and fish which are grown on artificial hormones and antibiotics, our vegetables which are genetically modified and sprayed with pesticides. Use of large amounts of domestic chemicals and beauty products, plastic, pollution, emf etc. More than 60 substances including Dioxins, Pesticides, herbicides, parabens have been identified as environmental estrogens and are linked to long list of different health problem.
It seems like we are constantly bombarded with hormones alternating substances.
In this article I would like to focus on estrogen which plays big part in women’s and man’s health, weight and even development of cancer.
Estrogen refers to group of chemically similar hormones: estradiol, estriol, estron.
It’s a main sex hormone in women which accompanies progesterone. Levels of those two hormones changing according to the time of the month. Estrogen is responsible for female physical features and reproduction. Man also have estrogen but in smaller amounts.
Estrogen is a main hormones which turns girls in to woman. It initiates physical transformation, these changes includes:
– start of menstrual cycle
– growth of breast
– growth of pubic and underarm hair
In normal, healthy cycle estrogen in woman is the highest in first two weeks of cycle, coming up to ovulation. At ovulation around 12/14 increased levels of estrogen , trigger release of egg through LH hormon. The ruptured follicle start to secret progesterone and estrogen to continue to prepare the uterus for pregnancy. If the egg is not fertilized, estrogen and progesterone levels drop and, on Day 28, the menstruation begin.
The menstrual cycle occurs in three phases: follicular, ovulatory and luteal. The first half of the cycle is known as the follicular phase and the second half of the cycle is considered the luteal phase. Midway through the cycle between days 12 and 16 ovulation occurs, known as the ovulatory phase.
Estrogen is produced mostly by the ovaries but also in smaller amounts by the adrenal glands and in fat tissue.
Estrogen balance is essential for achieving and maintaining fat loss. Estrogen dominance causes toxic fat gain, water retention, bloating, mood swings and host of other health and wellness issues.
– Breast swelling, tenderness, fibrocystic breast
– Mood swings (irritability and depression)
– Hair loss
– Weight gain particularly around the abdomen and hips
– sluggish metabolism
– thyroid dysfunction
– hair loss
– memory loss
– chronic fatigue
Estrogen dominance has also been linked to allergies, autoimmune disorders, breast cancer, uterine cancer, infertility, ovarian cysts, and increased blood clotting, and is also associated with acceleration of the aging process.
Estrogen dominance is also a serious problem in man. High estradiol > 60pq/ml causes considerable fall in testosterone, which is main male hormone. That can cause serious weigh and health problems including mental wellbeing, some of the symptoms are:
– memory problems
– moodiness/ depression
– emotional hypersensitivity
– high cholesterol
– low libido
– infertility/ low sperm count
– inability to get erection
– male breast enlargement
– increased abdominal fat
– type 2 diabetes
CAUSES OF ESTROGEN DOMINANCE IN MAN AND WOMAN:
– Ageing is a big factor, after 35 levels of certain hormons decrease, causing increase in fat tissue.
That leads to excess body fat, which is a reservoir of estradiol, fatty tissue contains aromatase which converts testosterone in to estrogen.
– Diet, non-organic products like meat and full of estrogen which is used to speed up growing process in animals, Also pesticides and herbicides and pesticides mimic effects of estrogen in body
– Stress Increased levels of stress. In prolonged stress body often uses progesteron- antagonist of estrogen to produce cortisol- stress hormon.
– Alcohol is made out of plants which contain estrogen like substances
– Coffee and caffeinated products like coca- cola are major triggers for estrogen dominance. Only 2 cups a day can increase female hormone by 60%
– Tight underwear in man causes low blood flow and overheating of testicles which decrease testosterone production
– Enviromental toxins like xenoestrogens and parabens found in products like plastic, domestic chemicals and beauty products
How to eliminate/ control estrogens:
– Avoid plastic products: lunch boxes (swap to metal or glass), avoid drinking from plastic bottles
– Help liver to metabolise estrogen, take supplements supporting liver like DIM- compound found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower, it help with estrogen elimination, fish oils, vitamin B complex, green tea, methylator like Citocoline CDP choline- By design estrogen molecules are all missing one methyl group, and this means it is hard for liver to chelate it out of the body. this is why methylators can help, it will fill in the missing spots in estrogen and make it easier for liver to deal with it .
– Taking high quality probiotics and fibre stops reabsorbtion of estrogens in intestines and ensures fast passage.
– Watch what you drinking, alcohol increases levels of estrogens in man and woman and it has been shown to decrease testosterone. It is recommended to eliminate all alcohol, beside certainred wines, full of antioxidants like Malbec.
– Switch your cosmetics and cleaning products for organic ones, which are free from xenoestrogens
– Use high quality filter for water to reduce exposure